Thursday 22 December 2011

Merry Christmas from Senegal

Its hard to believe that its Christmas just a couple of days away whilst here the sun has been shining and the crazy life of a Senegalese fishing town goes on around me. I've been here a week now and it's going to be very hard to leave indeed.


View Larger Map

I have been made to feel very welcome amongst a crew of guys from Guinea Conakry who live together here in a small ecampermant on the beach just out of town. We've been Playing lots of music together and feasting on fine west african cooking involving mounds of rice and plenty of fish, I love it, and it's exactly where i wanted to be. But there is still a few hundred more kilometers to go befor i arrive in The Gambia and soon it will be time to hit the road again.





That one above is my christmas card to you.
Yes yes yes, to white sandy beaches and midwinter sun just a cycle ride away...

One of the high points of this week was a day in a pirogue out on the water casting the fishing nets and catching the most delicious fresh fish for that nights dinner. It was a little dream of mine whilst cycling here to go out in the boats and it was indeed a dream come true and a blissful day out fishing. I'm seriously thinking of a career change.




 

The fishing pirogues are some how so iconic for this part of the atlantic coast just like the dhows of East Africa and form the centre of activities in town. I hope to have the opportunity to spend many more days out with the fisherman and messing about in boats over the next month on the west coast.

So i would just like to wish every one a very merry Christmas and festive season where ever you may be. I hope that you enjoy your holidays and get a chance to connect with you're fanilly and loved ones. Who knows where i'll be but for sure it will be some where in Africa, just as i'd hoped.
Much love to one and all.
Ed

3 comments:

  1. :) Epic journey Ed - you have truly escaped from the bs of the cold north! No xbox, voucher codes, Tescopoly, just good healthy outdoor living. Happy solstice!

    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you, Ed. Your journey is incredible and I'm terribly jealous, but enjoying your encounters vicariously. You do have a knack for meeting up with just the right people. I hope you enjoy your Christmas day with your new friends. I know all your friends back home are eager to welcome you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my name is Rosie and Bob told me about your blog (he's my brother, Hillary's the surname!)
    I've never blogged or tweeted before but like what you're doing so thought I'd say hi. Also to comment on perhaps why you are undertaking this trip. Not knowing you really at all, here goes; so you obviously like travelling and adventure and this is best when you are apart from normal life and posessions ect.as it forces you to seek new posessions and relationships and think on your feet which is fun! Biking is also great because it feels good to be exercised and I don't think we do it enough.
    Good luck on your adventure. I'm also preparing for a more organised type of biking adventure, check out my website www.boadiceaswheels.co.uk and I'll try and link them or something for mutual publicity. Will also sponsor your charity.

    ReplyDelete